Taking The First Step

September 26, 2013


I'm not really one to take risks in life so fashion hasn't been one of those things. And here I am, wearing my first coloured pair of pants! Thanks to my sister for letting me borrow them (the perks of having a sister who is the same size as you).

Last year, I definitely was not involved in school. I'm a very shy person. I'm not quick to trying new things, especially when I'm on my own. When I look back, I feel like I wasted a whole year just studying and doing nothing else! This year, I'm slowly but surely trying to step out of my comfort zone to be a bit more "involved" at school.




Tee: H&M // Cardigan: Stitches // Pants: Gap // Flats: SODA

In order to be more involved, I went to one of my school's fellowship this week. One thing I realized for sure was that I was at a spiritual-low the past year. Most of my friends from my high school fellowship went to other universities so I lost that spiritual support I had from them. I wanted to go to my university fellowship since last year but I ended my classes much earlier than the time the fellowship was going to meet. 5 hour breaks are torture, especially when you can't leave the campus (I'll have to pay another bus fare because there's nothing within walking distance from the campus to do).

All in all, the fellowship was fun and I met some great new people! The ONLY problem was that the fellowship was Cantonese-speaking. I can understand and converse in Cantonese fine but I am gifted with the inability to read Chinese characters well. When lyrics and bible verses were written in only Chinese characters, it was difficult for me to understand because I only got bits and parts of it.

There's a Chinese proverb that my church pastor mentioned during his sermon once: A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. I will for sure attend fellowship more often during the school year but I'll have to check out some other ones. I just don't think I'll be able to grow spiritually in an environment where I can only understand about 80% of what they say. I need the 100%!

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Oh hi Joyce. You are shy? No, I could sort of tell. Blogging is always a great outlet for a shy person, don't you think.

    Next time you go thrift shopping (pending there is a next time) just go with an open mind and just let the items come to you. Get you imagination working on how that item you found would work with what you already have. Before you know it, you'll have 4-5 things selected and you'll be on your way. (free advice) hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once you 'break out' of that shell, it becomes loads easier (: there's a first time for everything!
    I'm the same size as my (younger) sisters too! It's embarrassing I know...but on the bright side, I can still some of their clothes & shoes :D

    Yuen @ The Craziest Paradigm - a 'lil bit of rust & stardust

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choice of color for your first color bottoms!! I dare you to try neon next time :) Hehe. Anyways, I'm proud of you for stepping outside your comfort zone and trying something different, that's what fashion blogging is all about, right? :) Also, I'm so glad you've been able to find some new spiritual enlightenment through the new fellowship. It is a great gift that you can read and write chinese!! I think if I went to a cantonese service, I would be completely confused! hehe
    Christy
    Sunnywithasideof...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the mint colour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the mint pants! So pretty with the stripes:) And so happy for you that you're getting out of your comfort zone, it's something I have to work with too since I'm also shy.

    ReplyDelete